The only German auxiliary cavalry
regiment to serve in America, the regiment was 336 men strong and was part of
the 1st Division, arriving in Quebec in June, 1776. They did not bring
their horses with them, hoping to procure them in America. Very few
horses were obtained, only enough for small units to act in patrol work,
etc. The remainder of the regiment fought in infantry. Their heavy
cavalry boots were exchanged for long overalls made from striped ticking
material, but much of the remainder of their cavalry dress was retained.
They were another of the regiments taken into captivity at the surrender of
Saratoga as part of General Burgoyne's Army, although many men were
exchanged, escaped from captivity, etc., to re-form the Regiment around the
detachment left in Canada.
[SOURCE: R. J. Marrion.
Fellow of The Company of Military Historians of America. Uniforms
of the American War of Independence. A series of 24 collector
cards. Victoria Gallery, London, England. 1992.]