[Ealge with Flag]
UNIFORMS OF
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

Lt. Colonel Andreas Emmerich's Chasseurs or mounted infantry were the most celebrated of his corps. When first raised the corps consisted of one musketeer company, one of riflemen and one troop of light dragoons. This picture shows the chasseurs mounted and dismounted. Their discipline was very strict. The uniform of green and white was the dress adopted by the British Government for all Loyalist or Provincial commands in 1776, with facings of white, green or blue cloth.

Emmerich's corps was the first one raised by the British for patrol duty in Westchester County or the so-called "Neutral Ground". It became very famous in that section, where it often acted in conjunction with the Hessian Yagers and De Lancey's Refugees.

Emmerich's Chasseurs, 1776

Emmerich's Chasseurs, 1776

[SOURCE: Uniforms of the Armies in the War of the American Revolution, 1775-1783. Lt. Charles M. Lefferts. Limited Edition of 500. New York York Historical Society. New York, NY. 1926.]


Uniforms of the American Revolution | Next Page | Uniforms Index | Return to Main Menu

eMail the Webmaster

Copyright Notice
Copyright 2015, Sons of the Revolution in the State of California

 HTML 4.0 Verified!