THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
regiment was formed May 19, 1775, consisting of ten companies and 417 men under command of
Colonel Richard Gridley. On November 17, 1775, Colonel Henry Knox took command and held it
until December 27, 1776, when he was made Brigadier General and Chief of Artillery in the
Continental Army. When the Army was reorganized in 1776, this regiment became the 3rd
Continental Artillery under Colonel John Crane.
During the period 1775-1776, the men wore no
uniform except what they could get, but the officers adopted a blue coat faced with red
and lined with white cloth. These coats were cut in any style that the individual chose as
there was no regulation, but the buttons were to be gilt and the buttonholes and lace the
same. The coats were cut with tight sleeves and full skirts, as a rule, following the
fashion of the day.
In 1778, this regiment was known as one of the
best dressed in the Army. The men then wore blue coats faced with red, and lined with
white, with white cross belts, red feathers in their hats, white serge breeches and
waistcoats, white linen overalls or spatterdashes.
Later they wore the regulation artillery uniform
adopted for all the artillery in accordance with Washington's general order of October,
1779. This order was about the same as given above except that the coats were to be faced
and lined with red, and the buttonholes bound with yellow tape for the men, and gilt for
the officers. Buttons for the men were of pewter with raised letters "U. S. A."
on them, at this time.
[REFERENCES: Letters of Henry Burbeck, an officer
in the above regiment, written in 1845-1848, and printed in the New York Herald, June 15,
1913; descriptions of deserters, from the Providence Gazette, July 19, 1779, and the
Connecticut Courant, November 24, 1778, printed post.]